Experience the Idaho Potato Drop on New Year’s Eve
Looking for a unique way to ring in the new year? Experience the 11th Annual Idaho Potato Drop at the Idaho State Capitol in downtown Boise. This spud-tastic event has been nominated by USA Today as one of the country’s best New Year’s Eve drops and will be broadcast live by KTVB. Events start at 6 p.m. with live music, art performances and the Urban Air Ski and Snowboard Exhibition and end with the giant potato drop and fireworks at midnight. Sample delicious local food and beverages from mobile food vendors and visit the all-ages beer garden and vendor camp. While you’re there, make sure to snap a picture with Spuddy Buddy and the Big IdahoPotato Tour truck.
Come to Boise for Holiday Fun
If you’re looking for activities to fill you with holiday cheer, Boise is the place to be.
- Glide on Grove – New in 2023! You won’t want to miss this completely FREE community skating activity, great for all ages and abilities. Head to Grove Plaza from November 24 to January 31 to find free skates, helmets and skate aids to glide around the City of Boise holiday tree.
- Downtown Boise Holiday Parade – On December 2, watch in person or tune in to KTVB from 10 a.m. to noon for this annual televised holiday event featuring floats, music and more.
- Winter Window Walk – Enjoy gleaming, decorated holiday window displays while you explore downtown Boise’s dining, shopping and nightlife.
- Bogus Basin – Boise’s hometown mountain recreation hub kicks off its season on Thanksgiving Day. Hit the slopes or try nordic skiing, fat tire biking, snowshoeing, tubing and the free terrain park.
- Holiday Markets – Support local businesses and get your holiday shopping out of the way early at the Capital City Public Market. Discover unique gift ideas from local makers and artisans at Grove Plaza every Saturday from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. through December 16.
- The Nutcracker – Ballet Idaho performs the beloved holiday classic from December 15-24 at the Morrison Center. Children from the Ballet Idaho Academy will also enliven the stage and the Boise Philharmonic orchestra and Opera Idaho children’s choruses provide live musical accompaniment.
- Winter Garden aGlow – Wander through the Idaho Botanical Garden’s twinkling wonderland to the backdrop of festive music and enchanting displays. Guests can enjoy free cookies and hot chocolate, warm up by fire pits placed along the paths, write a letter to Santa and buy fare from local food trucks. Pick a flexible entrance time slot and buy your tickets in advance. The event runs through Dec. 31.
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl – On December 23, watch a college football showdown at Albertsons Stadium and take part in the Fan Fest and Family Field Day activities happening before the big game.
- Winery and Brewery Events – Stay warm and have some fun while you enjoy Idaho’s robust winery and brewery scene. Many Idaho wineries are offering discounts along with events such as wreath making, live music, arts and crafts, murder mysteries, holiday bazaars, food pairings, barrel tastings and winemaker dinners. Festivities at Boise’s breweries include live music, karaoke, trivia, games, comedy, dancing, and drink specials. Idaho wines and brews also make great holiday gifts, so be sure to pick up a few extra bottles or 6-packs to share.
- Indoor Winter Fun – If the weather outside is frightful, play inside at some of Boise’s favorite attractions. See the new Impressionists Immersive exhibit at the Discovery Center of Idaho, gain some knowledge at the Idaho History Museum, or bring the whole family for laser tag, bumper cars, arcade games, bowling and more at Wahooz Family Fun Zone.
Idaho Checks Out Just Fine – San Diego Union-Tribune
Stay Another Day in Boise, Idaho – Meetings & Conventions