December 1st-31st: Garden aGlow | Idaho Botanical Garden
December 20th: Famous Idaho Potato Bowl | Albertsons Stadium | 1:30pm
December 31st: Idaho Potato Drop | Cecil D. Andrus Park | 6pm
Experience Boise’s Array of Holiday Activities
If you’re looking for activities to fill you with holiday cheer, look no further than Boise, one of only three U.S. destinations named to Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel for 2023. From holiday markets to cultural events, the city has you covered.
- Downtown Boise Holiday Parade – On December 3, watch in person or tune in to KTVB from 10 a.m. to noon for this annual televised holiday event featuring floats, music and more. This year’s theme is “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.
- Winter Window Displays – While you explore downtown Boise’s dining, shopping and nightlife, meander by the decorated holiday window displays. Vote for your favorites by scanning the QR code displayed on the storefronts through the end of December 2022. The three winning businesses will receive bragging rights and social media glory.
- Holiday Markets – Support local businesses and get your holiday shopping out of the way early at the Capital City Public Holiday Market. Come to the Grove Plaza on Saturdays through December 17 from 10 a.m to 2 p.m. and discover unique gift ideas from local makers and artisans.
- The Nutcracker – Ballet Idaho performs the beloved holiday classic from December 9-18 at the Morrison Center. Enjoy the playful charm of the mice, the magical transformation of the Nutcracker Prince, and the dreamlike adventure that takes Clara to the Land of Sweets. Children from the Ballet Idaho Academy enliven the stage with the professional company members and the Boise Philharmonic orchestra and Opera Idaho children’s choruses provide live musical accompaniment.
- Winery and Brewery Events – Stay warm and have some fun while you enjoy Idaho’s robust winery and brewery scene. Many Idaho wineries are offering discounts along with events such wreath making, high tea, floral arranging, yoga, Christmas markets, food pairings, barrel tastings and winemaker dinners. Festivities at Boise’s breweries include live music, karaoke, trivia, games, comedy, dancing, and drink specials. Idaho wines and brews also make great holiday gifts, so be sure to pick up a few extra bottles or 6-packs to share.
- Winter Garden aGlow – Stroll through the Idaho Botanical Garden’s twinkling wonderland to the backdrop of festive music and experience over 600,000 lights and decorations hung artfully throughout the landscape. Guests can enjoy free cookies and hot chocolate, warm up by fire pits placed along the paths, write a letter to Santa and buy fare from local food trucks. The event runs through Dec. 31 and tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Indoor Winter Fun – If the weather outside is frightful, play inside at some of Boise’s favorite attractions. Catch the new Slime! exhibit at the Discovery Center of Idaho, learn some new facts at the Idaho History Museum, or channel your inner kid with laser tag, bumper cars, arcade games, bowling and more at Wahooz Family Fun Zone.
Bogus Basin Celebrates its 80th Year with Early Open, New Upgrades
Bogus Basin, Boise’s hometown non-profit mountain recreation hub, is celebrating its 80th year in style. Thanks to an early dump of snow, the resort held a soft opening the weekend of November 19-20, in anticipation of its full season opener on Thanksgiving Day.
Skiers and snowboarders alike will be thrilled with the $5 million of upgrades for the 22/23 season. Visitors will find new runs, expanded beginner terrain, RFID technology, increased night lighting and improved machines for snowmaking.
If you’re not a shredder, check out Bogus Basin’s other activities which include nordic skiing, fat tire biking, snowshoeing, a free terrain park, and a tubing hill that is great for families or other group outings. Equipment rentals are available for a reasonable price on-site and reservations are required for activities such as tubing.
Best in Travel 2023 – Lonely Planet
Connect with Boise, Idaho in one perfect day – Lonely Planet
Step Aside Vegas, Boise is Ready to Host Your Next Weekend Getaway – MSN
The Fun Never Ends in Boise: Exploring the West’s Best-Kept Secret – MSN
Three Perfect Days in Idaho – Hemispheres